Sunday, September 30, 2007

18w2d

I'm having a bad day. At this point in time, I work fulltime from home. Part of the reason I accepted this position was because I could work from home. There are a few of us in my area who do this since the office near us is not large enough to accomodate our group. All this changed this week and now I'm being told I have to go work in the office - not all of us, just two of us. Everyone is pretty resistant to this change, but we sort of accept that it's going to happen and there isn't much we can do about it, besides make the transition benefit us. I spoke with the person who was charged with handing down this decision and explained why this is bad for me, including the fact that when the position was offered to me, they told me my salary was offset because I would be working from home. Right now we've let it up in the air, since we agree it's best to wait for my doctor to give me the all-clear to travel 3 hours a day and be more than 2 hours away from my hospital. I just feel so helpless. I had planned to have the baby home with me the first year so that I could nurse. Now I feel like the world has been turned upside down again. I went from 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with my child, with some help from a part-time nanny to having to put my child in daycare for 12 to 14 hours a day. I'm so angry, so despondent, so frustrated. Marc doesn't really understand because for him, nothing changes. I feel like I've lost something huge here. We have other options for childcare, like leaving the baby with his mom everyday, but that doesn't seem right to me. Which just leaves me back at square one, feeling really shitty and really helpless.

3 comments:

ms. G said...

Oh man, I can totally see how you are feeling helpless. I don't have any advice for you, wish I did. I currently work part time so I can be home more, but financially I honestly sometimes question if we can really swing it.

Best wishes to you, I hope it all works out the way you want.

niobe said...

That really sucks to have all your plans turned upside down without warning. Is there any possibility of having you work at least part-time from home? I know it wouldn't be the same, but it might make things a little easier.

Monica H said...

I'm sorry your work situation got turned upside down. Can they find someone else to switch with you? You said there were only 2 of you that had to work from the office, why did they choose you? I would think there are others who could do that.

It is still early and I hope that they will figure something out that better suits your situation :)
I'll be praying for change.