Friday, September 7, 2007

15w0d

Been a busy week...Grandma fell and broke a hip after Mass on Tuesday. She tripped on an outdoor floor mat and went down. She had surgery on Wednesday and she's in some pain. She's so worried about everyone else. She's scared because physical therapy hurt her, and they are coming back in the morning to make her get out of the bed and stand on her own. The food at the hospital is crap and she's frustrated because they come in every hour to check something else. She says it only hurts if they make her move around. My sister told me that they heard her moaning and crying down the hall (they had to leave the room, they couldn't handle seeing her in so much pain). If I could just make it better, I would. I hate seeing her helpless and worried. She's been so much more worried in the last year, especially since my uncle got sick and died. My poor grandma. I hate this.

My mother told her I was pregnant, and I'm so glad. She's so happy and excited. She started crying tonight when I saw her, saying that she was praying so hard for us since Gregory died, and she couldn't be happier. It scares the shit out of me that she might not live to see the little pigface in person. Old people die when they break hips. They lose their independence, and lose their desire to carry on. They are more at risk for nosocomial infections like pneumonia. Please God she makes it to her 80th birthday next spring. She deserves a little happiness and a big birthday celebration after the shitty circumstances in the last year and a half.

Morning sickness is winding down a bit, and I'm getting quite the belly. I need to start taking photos. I have very few belly shots from when I was pregnant with G, one at 13w and a couple at 33w. I so wish I had more...hindsight, blah blah blah.

And to the person who found my blog by googling for information on not feeling the baby move for a few hours and being scared: KICK COUNTS. Go lay down on your couch or bed and count your baby's movements. The goal is to count 10 movements in 2 hours. (You can stop when you feel 10.) Sometimes drinking some cold juice or soda can help wake the baby up if she's sleeping. If you don't feel 10 movements in 2 hours, call your OB. If they blow you off, go to the ER or L&D. Get the ultrasound. Yes, you'll probably feel like an idiot when the baby is perfectly fine, healthy, and you realize she was just taking a nap, but it will ease your mind that the baby is ok. You should not feel shy about demanding good care - you are paying your doctor, and you should get the quality of care you deserve, not what they feel is fair. You are the best advocate for your health and your child's health. In this case, it's far better to open your mouth. Worst case is that something is not right and you've caught it by speaking up. That said, I hope your little one is kicking up a storm, and that he or she will be home in your arms shortly!

6 comments:

Mrs. Collins said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. I hope she finds a way to recover that is not too painful. I do kick counts now religiously. In fact, sometimes I do them twice a day if I can. I read that in a subsequent pregnancy one shows sooner. It won't be long until you can feel your lil' one kicking! Are you finding out the sex?

froggy mommy said...

We are finding out the sex this time. We didn't with Gregory and I regret that I didn't get to bond with him as my little boy, as Gregory. He was just 'the baby' until after my c-section. So this time we've decided we're finding out! Only 3 or 4 more weeks and I'll go get scanned and find out hopefully!

I think I may have felt the baby move just the littlest bit once, but it's so early its hard to tell. It's still so early, but I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be begging the kid to please just let me sleep.

Mrs. Collins said...

Aww, how exciting that will be! I too thought I felt Critter move very early but I didn't want to tell anyone because I thought they would think I was crazy. Silly me, they already KNEW I was crazy. I never beg Critter to stop kicking me! He can never kick too much.

Angel Mom said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother. It's so hard to see grandparents suffering.

Yes, do be sure and take belly pictures! I took some with each of my kids but wish I had even more. It's so neat to see your belly growing.

Thank for the comment on my blog.

Rosepetal said...

I think that same person must have found me. Someone read my blog yesterday after searching for "how to tell if baby died in utero". God I hope she and her baby are okay.

Thanks for the comment on my blog.

Monica H said...

Hi, I'm visiting your blog a little late, but I hope your grandmother is doing better.

I think it's great that you posted that message to the woman about kick counts in the even that she visits your blog again.

Congrats on the new pregnancy, I wish you the best.