Sunday, August 26, 2007

13w2d

Told Marc's folks today...they were thrilled! I really thought Grandpa was going to jump up and down. We've asked them to keep it quiet for a while just because we don't want to stress anyone out. My mother is annoyed that I won't tell my grandmother - she's sure she'll be thrilled and won't be stressed out, but I don't think I'm ready to do that.

Went to BRU for the first time since before Gregory died. It was fun and a lot easier than I anticipated. I bought some stuffed toys (frogs of course!) and looked at some things we'll need to buy (fleece cover for carseat, angel monitor, etc.). I am feeling so confident about this pregnancy in the last few days. I'm sure one day soon I'll wake up and have a major panic attack and convince myself the baby is dead.

The morning sickness from hell has struck again. When I was pregnant with Gregory, I had only minor nausea in the first trimester and was pretty much on bed rest because of bleeding. Once the bleeding stopped, I had a few days before the morning sickness started. FIVE days straight where I had a headache, nonstop vomiting, dehydration and cold sweats. My doctor figured it might be because of the red dye in the cold medicine I took and told me to stay away from it. Not three weeks later, BAM, it hit again. Another FIVE straight days of nonstop puking. It was just so unbelievably debilitating. It would ease up to where I was only vomiting once or twice a day, and then every few weeks, I would become violently ill. I had to keep a box of garbage bags in the car just so I had a place to puke. I remember Marc driving me into work one Saturday morning when I was about 19 weeks along, and we were stopped at a red light and I just kept vomiting. Marc starts laughing and I turn my head to see three teenage girls in the car next to me, completely horrified. I wanted to roll down the window and say "I bet you don't want to get pregnant anytime soon!" It finally ended when I called my doctor and begged for drugs. He prescribed Z ofran 3x a day. That stuff was gold. Of course, it was so expensive, my insurance would only cover 9 pills every 30 days, and at $48 bucks a pill, I started conserving and taking it only when the vomiting became so awful I couldn't keep anything down for 24 hours. Eventually it tapered off on it's own around 28 weeks, and salty, greasy food (fast food french fries) kept it at bay without the drugs. This time it hit on Thursday, and I was completely useless. I was on the phone half the day and muting every time I had to puke. The rest of the time, I was laid up on the couch, moaning and sweating and shivering. By the time Marc got home, I was begging for McD's french fries. The first half I ate came right back up (cold potato mush - mmmmm) but the second half stayed down. It's gotten to the point where I just keep sprinkling table salt into my mouth. It's gross, but it works! I haven't puked since Friday!

3 comments:

niobe said...

Glad to hear about your optimism as well as the fact that your pukiness is currently under control. Salt? What a brilliant idea.

Mrs. Collins said...

Wow, you went to BRU? I've been, but the first trip sine the loss I went into waterworks and had to leave. Then I called DH from the car paralyzed. I've been able to go since then, but it was way later than 13 weeks. I'm super impressed!

Anonymous said...

Salt eh? hmmmm...

you're nearing the time mine went, around 13 weeks, i have a bit to go now, and I'm having lots of fun!!!

good luck :)