Wednesday, January 23, 2008

8 days old (or what should have been 35w1d)

Connor Michael (formerly Bubba) was born on Friday, 1/18/2008 at 5:35 pm EST weighing in at a whopping 5 lbs, 6 oz. and measuring a lengthy 19 inches. He spent his hospital time in the NICU since he was only 34 weeks gestation. When I went to the docs, they found my fluid had dropped from a 10.5 to a 6 and my placenta was looking a little mature and they felt he was safer out than in. Despite the steroids, he did have RDS (Respiratory Distress Syndrome for those non-nerds out there) and needed surfactant to help him breathe without grunting. He was off the CPAP in less than 24 hours and is home with us for 2 nights now.

I am totally and completely in love. It was really tough to see him hooked up to all the wires and I had a small emotional meltdown on Saturday morning when I saw him. Poor Marc - he is such a good husband. By Saturday afternoon my hormones and my emotions were so crazy that I had a complete breakdown over a plate of fried chicken. I really feel like my body totally betrayed me again. In recovery they said that my placenta was really mature and that I had small amounts of keytones and protein in my urine. I'm hoping to find out more when I see the doctor on Tuesday for an incision inspection. I do realize that had I not had the monitoring I did when I did, this probably would have turned out really badly. My recovery is going well, it's amazing what having a living child to take care of will do for your overall health. I was up and moving less than 24 hours after surgery, pumping and running around and getting out of the bed on my own. With Gregory I needed help moving around for more than a week after surgery.

And speaking of my Gregory, oh how my heart breaks. God, this is bittersweet. Every time I pick Connor up, cuddle him, kiss him, love him, I'm reminded of how I got so fucking jipped. It's been worse since last night. My original OB's office didn't send my records to the new OB's office in time for my surgery and then there was some confusion, so they sent them straight to my house. I got an envelope from them last night and I opened it up. All of Gregory's monthly ultrasound reports and my bloodwork from his pregnancy...and HIS FUCKING AUTOPSY report. Because every mom wants to know how much her dead son's brain weighed. I got as far as "intrauterine fetal demise" and "the fetus weighed 2030 grams" before I screamed for Marc who promptly took it away from me. My wonderful friend Stephanie, who at one point was studying for a career in mortuary science, said she'd read the report so I wouldn't have to. The only thing I want to know is his blood type. It's something he would have gotten only from me or only from Marc. Connor is O+ like me, so I'm curious if Gregory would be like me as well or A+ like his dad. I miss him so much, but I do realize I wouldn't appreciate the newest blessing in my life quite like I do had I not been blessed with Gregory.

And back to that newest blessing - he's home for two nights now and is the sweetest thing. He is nursing like a champ and sleeps well all day. It's of course a different story at night! The cats got a real up close look at him yesterday. Two of them liked the way he smelled so much that they decided to taste him. They are confused as to why they are locked out of our bedroom, but we don't want any cuddling accidents when we have to step out of the room. And I am a terrible mommy as far as pictures go. My camera is still packed away in one of the many boxes that are waiting to be unpacked, and I've luckily been able to borrow my sisters' camera. They are so nice for lending it to us! I don't have anything updated because I don't have the software on my computer to upload it, so you'll have to settle for the ones from the day after he was born.

11 comments:

Coggy said...

Oh my G*d he is so beautiful. I am so happy to stop by your blog and find such amazing news.
I'm sorry your first few days were tough, and you got sent that report. That's really no on. I think it's more than understandable to have a meltdown. I know friends with no previous history who have.
Wow.
Congratulations to you and your beautiful family.

Rosepetal said...

Congratulations! - even if they are bitter sweet. I am very glad you got your monitoring done and they decided to do something proactive.

Connor looks wonderful.

Michelle said...

He is utterly beautiful. Congratulations, I wish I could find the right words to tell you how happy I am for you!

Monica H said...

What an awesome blessing. I am so happy and relieved that Connor entered this world safely. I am so sorry they sent you that file, but I'm glad you had a friend who was able to interpret it for you.

Get plenty of rest and love him all you can.

Mrs. Collins said...

I'm so amazed at how much hair he has!!! He's so beautiful!! Froggy mama, you did it!!!! I'm so proud of you. I'm glad you had all the monitoring and it makes me mad that one has to have a stillbirth before hospitals will offer to women.

I too saw Jimmy's autopsy report and it still haunts me to this day. I'm sorry.

I too found the first couple of weeks difficult because Andy looked just like Jimmy, especially when he was sleeping. It gets better, especially when the hormones clear. Connor is going to be such a wonderful son and brother to Gregory. Congratulations again and don't worry about pics. We love them, but don't stress out about them.

PS... I can tell he was a hit with the baby girls in the nicu with those looks and hair!!

Angel Mom said...

He is so precious! What a beautiful little boy. Congratulations!

BasilBean said...

I can't tell you how thrilling it is to have checked in on you today to find such wonderful news.

It sounds like the days leading up to and just after his arrival were extremely difficult. Thankfully you were able to find a good team to help you and your beautiful boy.

Congratulations!

niobe said...

Everyone else has said it, but he's just beautiful. And your post is so poignant as you describe Connor, while remembering Gregory.

Antigone said...

Congratulations!!! He's beautiful. :-)

Antigone said...

P.S. Blogs/Posts like yours really keep my spirits up. Yours is the happy ending I really hope we find one day soon.

Kim said...

THE HAIR! He's gorgeous.